A house fire broke out at 7345 Alpine Way, Tujunga, CA. The fire was called into the 911 operator by Paul Phillips, president of the Alpine Village Home Owners Association at 8:14 am today (3/28/12).
The fire was started by a portable electric space heater placed too close to a couch in the garage. Flame caused extensive fire damage to the garage. The fire traveled into the attic of the house, but before it could ignite the living quarters, firefighters from LAFD 24, 74, 77, and 89 vented the roof and began laying water into the attic and garage areas.
The owner of the house and his two children and three dogs could only sit and watch as smoke streamed out of the residence. The fire was contained in the garage area and parts of the attic. "This is what we train for" stated Fire Station 24 Captain Valdez.
It took 27 firefighters 26 minutes to knockdown the fire.
Photo Credit: David DeMulle'